Broke & Happy?
As much as society wants to preach, “Money isn’t everything” or “Money can’t make you happy”; ITS astonishing how many people stay in their workplace simply because of a paycheck. Now, I completely understand- knowing where your next paycheck is coming from and the stability of knowing what tomorrow brings; is quite comforting. However, I can’t help but question…Does pay day outweigh all the other miserable days you put in?
The average person wakes up and before their feet hit the cold floor the initial thought is “Ugh, gotta get to work”. They head into work and are swamped by the workload. Then they proceed to go home and handle a workload of errands. After which they go to bed and repeat, repeat, repeat-work, work, work! The average person clocks in anywhere between 7-10 years of their life working full time. For the purpose of not giving you or myself a headache in calculating the hours and then the actual years of schooling let’s just say we dedicate anywhere between 12-16 years to our education. We spend almost double the amount of time preparing-only to end up with a dead end job that we hate? That doesn’t seem quite fair, does it?
Again, I understand that quitting to go follow your dreams of starting your own 3 ring circus is not only unconventional, but just plain scary. Especially when you have a mortgage, kids, and or loans to pay off. However, if walking on stilts is your passion and just the thought of orchestrating clowns makes you smile, then by all means my dear Watson stand tall.
How do you know ITS time to bolt
- Hate the Job- When asking a friend the common question “How’s work?” I was once told “Horrible, otherwise it wouldn’t be work” THAT IS SO WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS. You shouldn’t be miserable doing what you’ve been preparing for your entire life. Aside from the tolls you’ve paid to get to where you’re at, understand that you are less productive and less healthy when you hate your job. If your supervisors make life hell for you or your stress rating is off the Richter or you have no passion for what you are doing… ITS time to be out!
- The Glass Ceiling is Shatter Proof- Learning, growing, and advancing are invaluable in any line of work. Especially that of which you are extremely passionate about. If you look up a latter and see that there are no steps what will happen? You got it- you can’t possibly get to the top. ITS time to be out!
- Broke and UNhappy- I can speak from experience here. When under pressure of needing to get paid we succumb to less compensation, following the philosophy of “A bird in hand is worth more than two in a bush.” What we do not realize is that by knowing we make less for the same work we create a low moral in our own subconscious feeding into the unhappiness at work. Now, if you hate your job and your being under compensated- all the worse! ITS time to be out!
- The FEDS are coming- I recently experienced this. I KNOW YIKES! However, one must always be aware of their surroundings. There are red flags that should go on naturally, and unlike me YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO LISTEN TO YOUR GUT! The worse feeling in the world is coming into work thinking you still have work to do, meetings lined up-only to walk into an office in disarray and being unceremoniously fired. Are you noticing a decrease in profit and increase of customer complaints? ITS time to be out!
- We all got NEEDS- Notice, Educating, Empowering, Deserved, and Success. Is your good work being noticed, are you being educated and growing, are you empowered by your company’s principles, and do you see success in the horizon? If not, ITS time to be out!
Not every day will be completely blissful; however you should still enjoy what you do day in and out. You should be passionate about whatever line of work you have dedicated you life to.
Take a few minutes and picture what your exact workday would look like in details. Smell the flowers on your desk, taste the mid-day glass of scotch on the rocks, see the people who will surround you-NOW GO FOR IT!
Next time, I will give you the steps to take, should you have made the decision that… ITS about that time to be OUT!
[pullquote]“When the world throws you curveballs, go out swinging!”[/pullquote]